Thursday, June 12, 2014

Excel Ideas

Excel is such an amazing tool to use! The first time I learned how to use it was around sixth grade. I was so glad that I was able to start young in learning Excel because it was a great benefit to me as I got older. There are so many fun activities you can use Excel for in the classroom. I am excited to share this great program with my students!


Science

Excel will be so beneficial in Science. I will be having my students do a lot of experiments to gain that hands on experience. A great way to have them visually show the data they have collected is to make a graph of it. If we are doing a lab that focuses on the change of temperature over a period of time, the students will take the temperature of the substance ever 30 seconds and record it. At the end of 5 minutes they will take all the data they have collected and enter it into an Excel document. They will then create an line graph demonstrating the change of temperature over time.

Social Studies

In Social Studies we talk a lot about different geographical areas and populations. Students will do a project where they will surf the web to find out populations of countries throughout the world. Once they have compiled the data they will first total all the data up to see how many people live in all the countries they have found. Next, they will find the average of the whole group. Lastly, they will create a chart to help them visually see the difference in populations across the globe. Although it won't be extremely accurate, the students may be able to draw a conclusion as to where most people live in the world. I think it will be a fun way for them to explore the world and get a feel for how large the world really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment